Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Bleckley County is a county located in the state of Georgia. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 13,063. Bleckley County was created on July 30, 1912 from Pulaski County. The county seat is Cochran. The county is named in honor of Logan Edwin Bleckley (1827 - 1907), Georgia State Supreme Court Chief Justice.
The county is named for Georgia Supreme Court Justice Logan E. Bleckley, a poet and philosopher.
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
The 145th county formed in Georgia, was created in 1912 and was originally part of Pulaski county. The county was named for Georgia Supreme Court Justice Logan E. Bleckley, a poet and philosopher.
The Middle Georgia College Museum is housed in the 1870s Pace House, home of the first president of the college. It is said to be the oldest home in Cochran.
The county has one municipality, Cochran, the county seat. Cochran was named for Arthur E. Cochran, president of the Macon & Brunswick Railroad, who was influential in the development of the county.
The Ocmulgee River and Game Preserve offers fishing, boating, and hunting to outdoor sports enthusiasts. The Ocmulgee Wildlife Management Area, shared with Twiggs County, is another attraction.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 219 square miles (570 km2), of which 216 square miles (560 km2) is land and 3.3 square miles (8.5 km2) (1.5%) is water.
Bleckley county is located close to the center of Georgia. The eastern quarter of Bleckley County is located in the Lower Oconee River sub-basin of the Altamaha River basin. The central quarter of the county is located in the Little Ocmulgee River sub-basin of the same Altamaha River basin. The western half of the county is located in the Lower Ocmulgee River sub-basin of the same larger Altamaha River basin.
Bordering counties are as follows:
Cochran is home to Middle Georgia College, recognized as the oldest two-year college in America. It is one of the original units of the University of Georgia System.