Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Evans County is a county in the southeastern portion of the state of Georgia. Based on the 2010 census, the
population was 11,000. Evans County was created
on August 11, 1914 from Bulloch County and Tattnall County. The county
seat is Claxton. The county is named
in honor of General Clement Anselm Evans (1832-1911), a hero of the War
between the States and the commander in chief of the United Confederate
Evans County is located in an area known as the Magnolia Midlands within the Historic South region. The current Evans County Courthouse was created in 1923 and, in 1940, the people of Evans County elected their first female sheriff. Later, in the 1950s and 1960s, new growth came to the county with the building of Evans Memorial Hospital and the Claxton-Evans County Airport. In 2010, the population was 11,000; however, the 2012 Census Estimate showed a population of 10,689.
The county is named for Confederate General Clement A. Evans who led the last charge of the Army of Virginia at Appomattox.
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Evans County, the 150th county formed in Georgia, was created from parts of Bulloch and Tattnall counties. It was named for Confederate General Clement A. Evans who led the last charge of the Army of Virginia at Appomattox. Claxton, the county seat, was
incorporated in 1911 and named for Kate Claxton, a popular actress of the time.
The City of Claxton is known as the "Fruit Cake Capital of the World" in honor of its production of the traditional holiday treat. The Georgia Fruit Cake Company and Claxton Bakery, Inc., ship this delicacy around the globe each year.
The neo-classical Evans County Courthouse was built in 1923.
Old Sunbury Road runs through the county. Laid out in the 1790s, it was one of the longest vehicular thoroughfares of the post-revolutionary period.
The Evans County Park encompasses 40 acres with baseball fields, tennis courts, a playground and outdoor shelter. Bacon Ford Park, located in Claxton, also provides basketball courts and a picnic area.
Much of the southeastern part of Evans County is occupied by Fort Stewart, a US Army base used as a flight-training center.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 187 square miles (480 km2), of which 183 square miles (470 km2) is land and 4.0 square miles (10 km2) (2.1%) is water.
Evans county is located in east Georgia. The major body of water is the Canoochee River which flows through Evans County. The Canoochee is a tributary of the Ogeechee River.
Bordering counties are as follows: