Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Bartholomew County is a county located in the state of Indiana As of 2010, the population was 76,794. Bartholomew County was created on January 8, 1821. The county seat is Columbus. The county is named for Lieutenant Colonel Joseph Bartholomew, a hero of the Battle of Tippecanoe.
Bartholomew County is part of the Columbus, Indiana Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The county is named for Lieutenant Colonel Joseph Bartholomew, wounded at the Battle of Tippecanoe.
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Bartholomew County was organized by legislative act January 8, 1821, which became effective February 12, 1821. The county at this time embraced also the territory afterward given to Wells, Adams, Huntington and Whitley counties.
Johnny Appleseed is buried in David Archer's graveyard two and one half miles north of Ft. Wayne.
Bartholomew County is divided into 12 Civil Townships as follows: Clay, Clifty, Columbus, Flat Rock, German, Harrison, Haw Creek, Jackson, Ohio, Rock Creek, Sand Creek and Wayne.
John Tipton, later United States Senator from Indiana, was connected in an interesting way with the founding of the County Seat at Columbus. He donated thirty acres for the site, and the commissioners, grateful for the donation, named the County Seat Tiptona, in honor of General Tipton. This was done February 15, 1821, however, on March 20, the commissioners rescinded their action, on account of Tipton's political views, it is supposed, and changed the name of the County Seat to Columbus.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 409 square miles (1,060 km2), of which 407 square miles (1,054 km2) is land and 3 square miles (7 km2) (0.62%) is water.
Bartholomew county is located close to the center of Indiana. Camp Atterbury occupies the northwestern corner of the county.
Bordering counties are as follows:
Public schools in Bartholomew County are administered by the Bartholomew Consolidated School Corporation and the Flat Rock-Hawcreek School Corporation. The county's first tuition-free public charter school, the International School of Columbus, a middle school/high school, opened in 2009-10. The ISC was an International Baccalaureate World School offering the Diploma Program. The ISC closed due to financial difficulties in the fall of 2013.