Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Harrison County is located in the far southern part of the state of Indiana along the Ohio River. Based on the 2010 census, the county's population was 39,364, an increase of 6.6% from 2000. Harrison County was created on December 1, 1808. The county seat is Corydon. The county is named for William Henry Harrison, governor of Indiana Territory and United States President.
Harrison County is part of the Louisville-Jefferson County, KY-IN Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The county is named for General William Henry Harrison, First Territorial Governor of Indiana who later became the 9th President of the United States.
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Harrison County was established December 1, 1808, and was the fourth county organized in Indiana having been taken from Knox and Clark counties. Harrison County has a long and interesting history dating back to the late 1770s when the area was captured by George Rogers Clark and added to the territory of the United States during the American Revolutionary War.
Harrison County is divided into 12 Civil Townships as follows: Blue River, Boone, Franklin, Harrison, Heth, Jackson, Morgan, Posey, Spencer, Taylor, Washington and Webster. Scott Township is now included in Harrison Township.
As reported by the 2010 census, the county has a total area of 486.52 square miles (1,260.1 km2), of which 484.52 square miles (1,254.9 km2) (or 99.59%) is land and 2.00 square miles (5.2 km2) (or 0.41%) is water.
Harrison county is located in south Indiana. Harrison County's surface is covered by many hills and valleys. The Ohio River borders the entire southeastern, southern, and southwestern part of the county. Blue River forms the western border.
Bordering counties are as follows:
The county has 22 schools; 15 are public schools in 3 school districts, and 7 are private