Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Johnson County is a county located in the state of Indiana. As of 2010, the population was 139,654. Johnson County was created on May 5, 1823. The county seat is Franklin. The county is named for John Johnson, first Chief Justice of the Indiana Supreme Court.
Johnson County is included in the Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The county is named for Judge John Johnson, on of Indiana's 1st Supreme Court Judges.
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Johnson County was Formally organized May 5, 1823. It was named for John Johnson, a judge of the Indiana Supreme Court. This is probably John Johnson of Knox County, delegate to the State constitutional convention, appointed to the Supreme Court in 1816.
Johnson County is divided into 9 Civil Townships as follows: Blue River, Clark, Franklin, Hensley, Needham, Nineveh, Pleasant, Union and White River.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 322 square miles (833 km2), of which 320 square miles (829 km2) is land and 1 square mile (4 km2) (0.42%) is water.
Johnson county is located close to the center of Indiana. The south end of the county is home to the Camp Atterbury military installation.
Bordering counties are as follows: