Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Woodson County is a county located in the state of Kansas. Based on the 2010 census, the county population was 3,309. Woodson County was created on August 25, 1855. The county seat is Yates Center. The county is named in honor of Daniel Woodson (1824-1894), who served as secretary of Kansas Territory, 1854-1857, including four stints as acting governor.
The county is named for Daniel Woodson, who was Secretary of the Territory, and for some time acting Governor, after the resignation of Governor Shannon in 1856.
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Woodson County, one of the counties created by the first territorial legislature of 1855, is located in the third tier of counties from the Missouri state line, and in the third tier from the Oklahoma line. It is bounded on the north by Coffey county; on the east by Allen; on the south by Wilson,
and on the west by Greenwood. At the time it was created and named it contained very little of its present territory, but occupied almost the identical land which is now Wilson county. In 1857 the counties of the third tier were crowded northward until Woodson occupied about the same territory as at
present. In 1861 a slice was cut off the southern part and given to Wilson. By act of the legislature in 1868 the boundaries of Woodson county were defined as follows: "Beginning at the southwest corner of Anderson county; thence south to the south line of township 26 south; thence west to the east
line of Greenwood county; thence north to the corner of township 23 south of range 13; thence east to the place of beginning."
The county was named in honor of Daniel Woodson, territorial secretary.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 505 square miles (1,310 km2), of which 498 square miles (1,290 km2) is land and 7.4 square miles (19 km2) (1.5%) is water.
Woodson county is located in east Kansas. The county is largely upland, especially toward the center, being the bluffs which rise from the Neosho river which crosses the northeastern corner. Owl and Turkey creeks are the principal tributaries of the Neosho, and Sandy and Buffalo creeks of the Verdigris. The bottom lands make up about 10 per cent of the area of the county. Timbers of oak, cottonwood, hickory, black walnut, elm, hackberry, honey-locust, pecan, sycamore, box-elder and maple. Limestone and sandstone are found in marketable quantities. Potter's clay and brick clay exist in substantial quantities and thin veins of coal have been found.
Bordering counties are as follows:
Woodson USD 366