Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Bossier Parish is a parish located in the state of Louisiana. Based on the 2010 census, the
population was 116,979. The parish was formed in 1843 from the western portion of Claiborne Parish.
The parish seat is
Benton. The parish is named in honor of General Pierre Evariste
John Baptiste Bossier.
Bossier Parish is part of the Shreveport-Bossier City Metropolitan Statistical Area as well as the Shreveport-Bossier City-Minden Combined Statistical Area.
The parish was named in honor of General Pierre Evariste John Baptiste Bossier, who was elected to congress from this district the same year Bossier Parish was created. General Bossier, who received his title as a general of the Louisiana Militia, was born in Natchitoches in 1797 of a Creole family which was one of the first to settle in this community.
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Bossier Parish was created on February 24, 1843, was created on, from an area cut out of Claiborne Parish by Act 33
of 1843 and the parish was named in honor of General Pierre Evariste John Baptiste Bossier, who was elected to congress
from this district the same year Bossier Parish was created. General Bossier, who received his title as a general of the
Louisiana Militia, was born in Natchitoches in 1797 of a Creole family which was one of the first to settle in this
community. The Parish seat is Bossier City. Claiborne Parish was part of Natchitoches Parish, one of the original
nineteen parishes established in 1807. In 1888, the courthouse at Bellevue was partly burned.
The first parish seat was Freedonia; however, within a short time it was renamed Society Hill, and finally Bellevue. The first police jury was organized on June 19, 1843. In the early days of Bossier Parish, the police jury exercised powers of government long since taken away from the parishes. In 1850 the first official census was taken and the population of Bossier Parish was listed as 6,952. Benton has been the parish seat of government since 1888, when the courthouse at Bellevue was partly burned. Since Bellevue had no railroad, it became necessary that the parish seat be moved to a place where transportation could be utilized to the best advantage of the public. At that time there arose much rivalry between Haughton, Benton and Cane's Landing (modern-day Bossier City). The necessary steps were taken by the police jury to authorize relocating the parish seat, and eventually election results showed that the majority favored Benton. However, some members of the police jury, being disgruntled at the outcome, refused to meet and promulgate the official returns of the election. While this controversy was being carried on, a wide-awake citizenry from Benton slipped into Bellevue at the crack of dawn and loaded the remains of the records belonging in the courthouse and successfully transported them to Benton. After some time, the police jury met and authorized the construction of a courthouse, and in 1890 moved into the structure. This courthouse, with the addition of a jail and several adjacent structures, served the parish until its age and overcrowding necessitated a change.
The existing Bossier Parish courthouse was constructed in the early 1970's. The population of Bossier Parish has increased from 7,000 in 1840 to approximately 100,000 in the 2000 census. Bossier has long been regarded as the fastest growing parish in the state of Louisiana. The principal city is Bossier City, which is located east of the Red River from Shreveport, the seat of Caddo Parish.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the parish has a total area of 867 square miles (2,250 km2), of which 840 square miles (2,200 km2) is land and 27 square miles (70 km2) (3.1%) is water.
Bossier parish is located in northwest Louisiana. Lake Bistineau and Lake Bistineau State Park are included in parts of Bossier parish, also part of the Red River National Wildlife Refuge is located in this parish.
Bordering parishes and counties are as follows:
Bossier Parish School Board operates public schools in the parish.