Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Jefferson County is a county located in the state of Mississippi; its western border is formed by the Mississippi River. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 7,726, making it the third-least populous county in Mississippi. Its county seat is Fayette. The county is named for US President Thomas Jefferson
Jefferson is named for US President Thomas Jefferson.
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Jefferson County was originally known as Pickering, the original county of Jefferson (in the southwestern part of the State) was established April 2, 1799, by the following proclamation of Winthrop Sargent, the first territorial governor of Mississippi:
"I do ordain and order by these letters made patent, that all and singular the lands lying and being within the boundaries of - the Mississippi Territory * * * should constitute two counties- the division of which shall be a line, commencing at the mouth of Fairchild's Creek, and running direct to the most southern part of Ellicottville; thence easterly along the dividing ridge of the waters of Cole's and Sandy creeks, so far as the present settlements extend, and thence by a due east line to the territorial boundary- the southern or lower division of which is named, and hereafter to be called Adams, and the northern or upper division, the county of Pickering."
Within its extensive boundaries as thus outlined, were embraced the upper portion of the narrow fringe of white
settlements, along the Mississippi, forming a part of the so-called Natchez District, during the 18th century. It
received its present name January 11, 1802, in honor of President Thomas Jefferson. The County Seat is Fayette
Much of the early emigration to the county came in over the public road known as the Natchez Trace, which ran north from Natchez through Jefferson County, to the distant white settlements on the Cumberland, Tennessee. This public road was infested by bandits in the early years of the 18th century The original county site until 1825, was at Greenville near the mouth of Cole's Creek, but no trace of the old town remains. Greenville was the fourth station from Natchez on the old Natchez Trace, distant about 28 miles.
The Old courthouse burned in 1990, A majority of records were saved, though some of the "saved" records were later lost.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 527 square miles (1,365 km2), of which, 519 square miles (1,345 km2) of it is land and 8 square miles (20 km2) of it (1.48%) is water.
Bordering counties are as follows:
Jefferson County School District operates public schools.