Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Henry County is a county located in the western portion of the state of Missouri. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 22,272. Its county seat is Clinton. The county was organized December 13, 1834 as Rives County but was renamed in 1841 for Revolutionary War patriot Patrick Henry. The county originally had been named after William Cabell Rives, who was then serving as a US Senator from Virginia. However, Rives lost popularity in Missouri after he joined the Whig Party.
Named for Patrick Henry, Revolutionary patriot. Originally organized as Rines county, the name was changed to Henry on October 15, 1841, by an act of the legislature.
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
In the central west part of Missouri. Organized in 1835 under the name of Rives (q.v.). In 1820 Lillard County, now Lafayette County, was organized. This included Lafayette, Johnson, Cass, Jackson, Henry, and a part of St. Clair and Bates. The first municipal division of Lillard County was Lexington Township. In 1830 Davis and Blackwater Townships were organized. Davis included the territory in Shawnee, Fields Creek, Clinton, and Fairview Townships; Blackwater included Windsor, Tebo, Springfield, Deer Creek, Leesville, Bethlehem, and Osage Townships. These two townships passed out of existence, and in 1832 Tebo Township was organized and included the territory in Henry and Johnson. In May, 1834 Springfield Township was organized and included Windsor, Tebo, Springfield, Deer Creek, Leesville, Bethlehem, and Osage Townships. The remaining townships, Shawnee, Fields Creek, Clinton and Fairview were included in Tebo Township. In 1835 Rives County was organized. In 1841 the name Rives was changed to Henry in honor of Patrick Henry (1736-1799), the famous American orator and statesman. (Lamkin's HIST. HENRY (1919), 79, 80, 84, 87, 104-105)
Source: Johnson, Bernice E. "Place Names In Six Of The West Central Counties Of Missouri." M.A. thesis., University of Missouri-Columbia, 1933.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 732 square miles (1,900 km2), of which 697 square miles (1,810 km2) is
land and 35 square miles (91 km2) (4.8%) is water.
Bordering counties are as follows:
Calhoun R-VIII School District- Calhoun
Clinton School District - Clinton
Davis R-XII School District - Clinton
Henry County R-I School District - Windsor
Lakeland R-III School District - Deepwater/Lowry City
Leesville R-IX School District - Clinton
Montrose R-XIV School District - Montrose
Shawnee R-III School District - Chilhowee
Windsor Amish Schools - Windsor (01-08) - Amish
St. Mary' School - Montrose (01-08) - Roman Catholic
Holy Rosary Catholic School - Clinton (PK-08) - Roman Catholic
Clinton Christian Academy - Clinton (K-09) - Nondenominational Christian