County Seat: Belmont
Year Organized: 1806
Square Miles: 1,030
7 Court Street
derived from a Delaware Indian word, applied by settlers of Western New York to a trail that followed the Allegany River
County QuickFacts: Places in Allegany County
"Allegany County was taken from Genesee in 1806. It is 44 miles long, 28 wide, being part of the tract ceded to
Massachusetts. The two western tiers of towns are within the Holland Land Company’ s purchase. The Genesee river
flows through the county by a deep channel, depressed from five hundred to eight hundred feet below the higher
hills. By an act passed in 1828, this river was dechfted a public highway from Rochester to the Pennsylvania line.
The soil is of a good quality, there being extensive tracts of alluvion, and the uplands embrace a variety. The
northern part is best for grain, but as a whole it is better for grazing. Wheat and corn thrive well in the valley
and on the river flats. Of the former, twenty-five bushels an acre are an average crop, and of the latter forty. On
the upland, corn, rye, potatoes, oats, and buckwheat, are productive crops. The growth of forest trees being heavy,
lumbering is carried on extensively. The Rochester and Olean canal, chartered in 1836, and now constructing, enters
the county at Portage and terminates at Olean, in the adjoining county of Cattaraugus. The line of the Erie railroad
also passes through it. The county contains 30 towns." (Historical Collections of the State of New York, Past and
Present, John Barber, Clark Albien & Co. 1851)
According to the US Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,034 square miles (2,679 km2), of which, 1,030 square miles (2,668 km2) of it is land and 4 square miles (11 km2) of it (0.41%) is water.
Allegany County is located in the Southern Tier of Western New York in an eroded plateau of the Allegany Mountains, approximately 40-70 miles due south of Rochester and has about 50,000 inhabitants. There are twenty-nine townships, ten villages and numerous hamlets. Our rural county is served by twenty-nine post offices. A geologic feature is that we are the only county in the State that is home to three primary watershed headwaters: The Allegany, Susquehanna and Genesee Rivers. Respectively they end in the Gulf of Mexico via the Mississippi River, Chesapeake Bay and the St. Lawrence River.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer