Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Hughes County is a county located in south central US state of Oklahoma. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 14,003. Its county seat is Holdenville. The county was named for W. C. Hughes, an Oklahoma City lawyer who was a member of the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention
Named for William C. Hughes, member of the Constitutional Convention.
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
The area now occupied by Hughes County was part of Indian Territory in the 19th Century. The Creeks settled in the
northern part, while the Choctaws settled in the southern. In 1834, Camp Holmes was established and used as a base for the Dodge-Leavenworth
Expedition. It was near Edwards' Store on Little River, one of the first settlements in this area.
When the Choctaw, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad built in 1895, the Edward's settlement was moved north for access to the railroad. The town established there was named Holden, for James Franklin Holder, a railroad official. However, the Post Office Department would not accept that name because it was too similar to the name Holder. The town was renamed Holdenville. The post office opened November 15, 1895. Holdenville incorporated in 1898.
Hughes County was created at statehood and named for W. C. Hughes, an Oklahoma City lawyer who was a member of the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention
Oklahoma History Center
Located in southeastern Oklahoma, Hughes County is bordered by Okfuskee County on the north, McIntosh County on the northeast, Pittsburg County on the southeast, Coal County on the south, Pontotoc County on the southwest, and Seminole County on the northwest. At the turn of the twenty-first century incorporated towns included Atwood, Calvin, Dustin, Gerty, Lamar, Spaulding, Stuart, Wetumka, Yeager, and Holdenville, the county seat. Encompassing 814.64 square miles of total land and water area, Hughes County was carved out of land belonging to the Creek and Choctaw nations. Organized at 1907 statehood with 19,945 residents, the county was named for W. C. Hughes, an Oklahoma City lawyer and member of the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention. Located in the Sandstone Hills physiographic region, the county is drained by the North Canadian, Canadian, and Little rivers. Prehistory of the area has been revealed in eight sites dating to the Archaic period (6000 B.C. to A.D. 1), one to the Woodland period (A.D. 1 to 1000), and eleven to the Plains Village period (A.D. 1000 to 1500). Of significance is the Red Stick Man Site, where a pictograph representing a human figure was drawn on the ceiling inside a sandstone shelter....HUGHES COUNTY
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 815 square miles (2,110 km2), of which 805 square miles
(2,080 km2) is land and 10 square miles (26 km2) (1.3%) is water.
The county is located in the Sandstone Hills physiographic region. It is drained by the North Canadian River, Canadian River, and Little River.
The county includes Holdenville and Wetumka lakes.
Bordering counties are as follows: