Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Lincoln County is a county located in east central Oklahoma. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 34,273. Its county seat is Chandler.
Lincoln County is part of the Oklahoma City, OK Metropolitan Statistical Area.
In 2010, the center of population of Oklahoma was located in Lincoln County, near the town of Sparks
Named for President Abraham Lincoln.
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
The United States purchased the large tract of land known as the Louisiana Purchase from France in 1803. Washington
Irving, Charles J. Latrobe, and Count Albert de Pourtalès accompanied Henry L. Ellsworth and others on an expedition in Indian Territory that
may have passed through the far northwestern corner of the future Lincoln County.
The Osage hunted on land that includes present-day Lincoln County until they ceded the area in an 1825 treaty to the federal government. The government then assigned the land to the Creek and the Seminoles after they were removed from the southeastern United States. After the Civil War in 1866, these tribes were forced to give up lands that included present-day Lincoln County in Reconstruction Treaties for siding with the Confederacy.
The federal government then used the area to resettle the Sac and Fox, Potawatomi, Kickapoo and Ioway tribes. Established in 1870, the Sac and Fox agency, established on the eastern edge of the present-day county, was the first settlement in the area.
In 1890, the Jerome Commission negotiated with the tribes of the area such that they agreed to allotment of their reservation lands, except for the Kickapoo. Indian lands were allotted to individual tribal members and the excess were opened to white settlement in the Land Run of 1891. A separate land run was held later that year for the townsite of the predesignated county seat, Chandler. Lincoln County was organized and designated as County A. In 1895, the Kickapoo agreed to allotment and the land was claimed by settlers during the Land Run of 1895.
The voters chose the name Lincoln County for County A in honor of President Abraham Lincoln, selecting it over the names Sac and Fox and Springer.
Oklahoma History Center
Named for Pres. Abraham Lincoln, Lincoln County is located in the east- central part of Oklahoma, bordered on the north by Payne County and on the south by Pottawatomie County. Creek and Okfuskee counties are to the east and Logan and Oklahoma counties border on the west. Interstate 44, the Turner Turnpike, crosses diagonally, east to west, through the county. The Deep Fork of the Canadian River drains the county, which has 965.62 square miles of total land and water area. The Cross Timbers and the agricultural lands of the Sandstone Hills in the east and the Red Bed Plains in the west dominate the county's topography and vegetation. At the turn of the twenty-first century incorporated towns included Agra, Carney, Davenport, Fallis, Kendrick, Meeker, Prague, Sparks, Stroud, Tryon, Warwick, Wellston, and Chander, the county seat. Lincoln County is located in a region that has been little studied by archaeologists. However, a 1983 published archaeological survey reported that the county has sixty-six known sites, of which only three had been tested...LINCOLN COUNTY
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 966 square miles (2,500 km2), of which 952 square miles
(2,470 km2) is land and 13 square miles (34 km2) (1.4%) is water.
The county is drained by the Deep Fork of the Canadian River. The eastern part of the county lies in the Cross Timbers and the Sandstone Hills, while the western part is in the Red Bed Plains
Bordering counties are as follows: