Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Marion County is a county located in the state of Oregon. The population was 315,335 Based on the 2010 census, making it the fifth-most
populous county in Oregon. The county seat is Salem, the state capital. The county was originally named the Champooick District, after
Champoeg (earlier Champooick), a meeting place on the Willamette River. On September 3, 1849, the territorial legislature renamed it in honor
of Francis Marion, a Continental Army general from South Carolina who served in the American Revolutionary War.
Marion County is part of the Salem, OR Metropolitan Statistical Area, which is also included in the Portland-Vancouver-Salem, OR-WA Combined Statistical Area. It is located in the Willamette Valley.
Champoeg District was re-designated a county in 1845 and renamed Marion County in 1849 after General Francis Marion, a Revolutionary War hero.
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Marion County, originally named
Champooick District (later Champoeg), was created on July 5, 1843, by the
Provisional Legislature. Champoeg District stretched southward to the California
border and eastward to the Rocky Mountains. The area, however, was soon reduced
with the creation of Wasco, Linn, Polk, and other counties. Marion County's
present geographical boundaries, established in 1856, are the Willamette River
and Butte Creek on the north, the Cascade Range on the east, the Santiam River
and North Fork of the Santiam on the south, and the Willamette River on the
The county shares political borders with Clackamas, Yamhill, Polk, and Linn Counties. It contains 1,194 square miles. Champoeg District was redesignated a county in 1845 and renamed Marion County in 1849 after General Francis Marion, a Revolutionary War hero. That same year Salem was designated the county seat. The territorial capital was moved from Oregon City to Salem in 1852. The ensuing controversy over the location of the capital was settled in 1864 when Salem was confirmed as the state capital.
Salem has had three county courthouses, all located on the same site. The first courthouse was completed in 1854 and replaced in 1873. During the 1930s and 1940s efforts to move the 1873 building and preserve it as a museum failed and it was demolished in 1952. The third and present courthouse was completed in 1954. Arson fires in 2005 cause severe damage to the courthouse, causing a long closure before renovations were completed. The Courthouse Square Building next to the courthouse was constructed in 2000 and houses many Marion County administrative offices.
Marion County had a county court form of government for the first century of its existence. The county court exercised a combination of executive, administrative, and judicial functions; however as the judicial branch of state government developed, the necessity for the county court to exercise judicial functions diminished. In 1941 the county was divested of all judicial responsibilities, and the remaining vestiges of probate and civil jurisdiction were transferred to the circuit court. In 1961 the Legislative Assembly enabled a county court with no judicial functions to reorganize as a board of county commissioners. With court approval, the Marion County Court was abolished and became the Marion County Board of Commissioners in 1963.
The 2000 population of 284,834 represented an increase of 24.66% over 1990. The 2006 population of 306,665 marked an increase of 7.7% over 2000.
The county is located in the center of the Willamette Valley. Agriculture and food processing are important to the county's economy, as are lumber, manufacturing, and education. Government, however, is the county's main employer and economic base.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,193 square miles (3,090 km2), of which 1,182 square miles (3,060 km2)
is land and 10 square miles (26 km2) (0.9%) is water.
Bordering counties are as follows:
Marion County is the home of Willamette University, Corban University, and Chemeketa Community College.