Hutchinson County Education, Geography, and History
Hutchinson County is a county located in the state of South Dakota. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 7,343. Its county seat is
Olivet. The county was created in 1862 and organized in 1871. It was named for John Hutchinson, first territorial secretary.
Etymology - Origin of Hutchinson County Name
Hutchinson is named for territorial secretary John Hutchinson.
Hutchinson County was established with its present boundaries in 1871. The county seat was located at Maxwell City
where it remained until October 14, 1883, when it was voted to locate the county seat at Olivet. In 1873-74 the
legislative assembly divided the county and the north half being named Armstrong County. By legislative act, the
counties were reunited in 1879
Geography: Land and Water
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 814 square miles (2,109 km2), of which, 813
square miles (2,105 km2) of it is land and 2 square miles (4 km2) of it (0.19%) is water.