Moody County, created and organized in 1873, was named for Col. Gideon C. Moody, Speaker of the House in the
Territorial Legislature of 1874-75, associate justice of the Territorial Supreme Court from 1878 to 1883, and one of
South Dakota's first two US Senators from 1889-1891. The first county commission meeting was held in August, 1873. The
county seat issue was referred to the voters in November 1881 and Flandreau was favored over Egan.
Geography: Land and Water
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 521 square miles (1,350 km2), of which, 520
square miles (1,346 km2) of it is land and 1 square miles (4 km2) of it (0.27%) is water.