Potter County, created in 1875 and organized in 1883, was created as Ashmore County, in honor of Samuel Ashmore of
Elk Point, a member of the Legislature of 1872-3. Later the name was changed to Potter in 1877 to honor Dr. Joel A.
Potter, a member of the Legislature of that year. The first county commission meeting was held at Forest City on
December 27, 1883 to locate a county seat. In January 1885, after a court fight the town of Gettysburg was named county
seat and the records were moved to that location.
Geography: Land and Water
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 898 square miles (2,327 km2), of which, 866
square miles (2,244 km2) of it is land and 32 square miles (83 km2) of it (3.56%) is water.