Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Coffee County is a county located in the south central part of the state of Tennessee. Based on the 2010 census, the county's population was
52,796. Coffee County was formed in 1836 from parts of Bedford, Warren, and Franklin counties. It was named for John Coffee, an early
European-American settler. Its county seat is Manchester.
Coffee County is part of the Tullahoma -Manchester, TN Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Named in honor of John Coffee (1772-1833), Creek War and War of 1812 cavalry commander, frontiersman, congressionaly-appointed surveyor-general, land dealer and prosperous planter.
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Created 1836 from Bedford, Warren and Franklin counties; named in honor of John Coffee (1772-1833), Creek War and War of 1812 cavalry commander, frontiersman, congressionaly-appointed surveyor-general, land dealer and prosperous planter.
Coffee County was formed in 1836 from Bedford, Franklin and Warren counties. (Private Acts of Tennessee 1835-36, Chapter 36).
There was a fire at the Coffee County courthouse in 1876.
Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture
The Tennessee General Assembly established Coffee County from parts of Bedford, Warren, and Franklin Counties in 1836. It named the new county in honor of General John Coffee, a close political ally of Andrew Jackson. The county has several important prehistoric sites, the most significant being Old Stone Fort State Archaeological Area at the forks of the Duck River. Woodland Period people constructed a large ceremonial enclosure there. Carbon-dating within the walls has identified construction dates of A.D. 30, A.D. 230, and A.D. 430, indicating that the site was used for at least four centuries. Whites began to arrive in the county during the 1790s. Fort Nash, which protected travelers and encouraged permanent settlement, was established in 1793 on Garrison Fork near Beech Grove.
When the county was created in 1836, Manchester was named county seat on two hundred acres belonging to James Evans and Andrew Haynes. The first courthouse opened in 1837 and served the county until it burned and was replaced by the present Coffee County Courthouse in 1871. This Italianate-style courthouse is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Find more from the Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture: COFFEE COUNTY
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 434 square miles (1,125 km2), of which, 429
square miles (1,111 km2) of it is land and 6 square miles (15 km2) of it (1.29%) is water.[
Bordering counties are as follows: