Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Brown County is a county in west-central Texas. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 38,106. Its county seat is Brownwood. The county was
founded in 1856 and later organized in 1858. It is named for Henry Stevenson Brown, a commander at the Battle of Velasco.
The Brownwood, TX Micropolitan Statistical Area includes all of Brown County.
Henry Stevenson Brown, a commander at the Battle of Velasco
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Handbook of Texas Online
The county was formed on the western frontier in 1856 from Comanche and Travis counties and organized in 1858, with Brownwood designated as the county seat; the town was also awarded the county's first post office that year with Wiley B. Brown as postmaster. In 1860 the United States census found 244 people living in the county, none of them slaveholders. The census also counted 2,070 cattle in the area, and ninety-one acres of land was classified as "improved." The county developed slowly between its founding and the 1870s, primarily because conditions were not secure for settlement until the late 1870s or early 1880s, as settlers were harassed by Indians and white predators for twenty years after the county was formed. The original settlers had to resist Comanches who entered the region from the north at Mercer's Gap or from the west along Pecan Bayou, near Elkins. White desperados caused problems too; in 1875 the Fort Worth-Brownwood stage was robbed five times in two months. Much of the criminal activity during the 1870s was attributed to John Wesley Hardin's gang; in 1874 Brown County citizens were among those who lynched suspected gang members at Comanche, and Hardin himself was forced to flee. More at
John Leffler, "BROWN COUNTY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hcb17), accessed January 23, 2016. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 957 square miles (2,478 km2), of which, 944
square miles (2,445 km2) of it is land and 13 square miles (34 km2) of it (1.37%) is water.
Bordering counties are as follows: