Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Caldwell County is a county located in the state of Texas. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 38,066. Its county seat is Lockhart.
The county was founded in 1848 and was named after Mathew Caldwell, a ranger captain who fought in the Battle of Plum Creek against the
Comanche's and against Santa Anna's armies during the Texas Revolution. Caldwell was also a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence.
Caldwell County is part of the Austin-Round Rock, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Mathew Caldwell, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and soldier during the Texas Revolution
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Paleo-Indians Hunter-gatherers, and later Tonkawa, Karankawa.and Comanche, first inhabitants around 8000 b.c.
Caldwell County is part of Green DeWitt's petition for a land grant to establish a colony in Texas is approved by the Mexican government in 1825. The first settlers received land grants from the Mexican government between 1831 and 1835.
Edmund Bellinger becomes the first settler of Prairie Lea, the county's oldest town. Sam Houston names the town for his future wife Margaret Lea Houston in 1839
Caldwell County was created 6 March 1848 from Gonzale and Bastrop Counties. Its county seat is Lockhart. Caldwell County was named in 1848, after Matthew Caldwell, a ranger captain who fought in the Battle of Plum Creek against the Comanches and later against Santa Anna's armies during the Texas Revolution and a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence.
Handbook of Texas Online
By 1847 the population in the northern part of Gonzales County had increased so much that residents petitioned the Texas legislature to establish a new county, Plum Creek County, with Lockhart Springs as county seat. In March 1848 the legislature approved the formation of the county from Bastrop and Gonzales counties but named it Caldwell instead of Plum Creek; the county seat was called Lockhart. Although the legislature did not say why the name Caldwell was chosen, it was probably in honor of Mathew Caldwell, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. The county seat was located on a tract of land that had been part of Byrd Lockhart's Plum Creek grant. More at
Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "CALDWELL COUNTY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hcc01), accessed January 23, 2016. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 547 square miles (1,418 km2), of which, 545
square miles (1,413 km2) of it is land and 2 square miles (5 km2) of it (0.31%) is water.
Bordering counties are as follows: