Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Camp County is a county located in the state of Texas. Based on the 2010 census, its population was 12,401. Its seat is Pittsburg. The
county was founded in 1874 and is named for John Lafayette Camp, a Texas politician.
Camp County is represented in the Texas House of Representatives by the Republican Bryan Hughes, a lawyer in Mineola.
John Lafayette Camp, a Texas state politician
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
The earliest inhabitants of the Pittsburg/Camp County area were the Caddo Indians, who lived here a 1000 years before
the arrival of white settlers. In the 1830s, pioneers began arriving in Northeast Texas and by 1850, many families from Georgia, Tennessee and
Alabama were living in what was then Upshur County.
W. H. Pitts came to Texas in 1854, and the following year settled on a tract of land, most of which is now comprised within the corporate limits of the town bearing his name. "Major" Pitts, as he is now called, was then a young, vigorous man full of hope. He came to Texas to make his home. His first move was to secure title to enough land to begin a farm, and immediately upon locating land, he bought a tract of 200 acres, put up his primitive log cabin and started a "clearing." Growing as the county grew, his original patch in the woods spread out until he was the owner of many acres, and a large and prosperous farmer. The town of Pittsburg sprang up, starting, as most country towns, a mere crossroads place, but grew in importance until a regularly laid out settlement with a name became necessary. And taking the name from a prominent settler, it became Pittsburg.
It was 22 miles to the county seat of Gilmer. When the creeks would flood it would be weeks before citizens could travel to the courthouse to take care of legal matters. Thus in 1874, the citizens of Pittsburg asked the state legislature to form a new county. This new county was named for John Lafayette Camp (1828-1891) who was a soldier, lawyer, statesman, a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1866, and a State Senator in 1874.
Also in 1874 the question of where the new courthouse would be located was an issue. Major Pitts offered a site, Leesburg offered a site and Center Point also wanted the courthouse. Major Pitts won the day and the site by offering to pay $50 toward the construction of a courthouse. An election was held and the citizens voted 500 for Pittsburg, 228 for Leesburg, and 69 for Center Point. Thus, Pittsburg became the county seat and a new two story brick courthouse was built.
Handbook of Texas Online
Camp County was separated from Upshur County in 1874 and named for John Lafayette Camp, who was serving as state senator from Upshur County and presented the petitions that led to the action of the legislature. A county seat election was held, and Pittsburg won with 500 votes. Leesburg, to the west, received 228, and Center Point, in the southeastern part, received sixty-nine. Following the election, a courthouse was constructed of locally manufactured brick on a lot donated by William Pitts. Since the 1874 election the choice of county seat has never been contested. More at
Cecil Harper, Jr., "CAMP COUNTY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hcc05), accessed January 23, 2016. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 203 square miles (526 km2), of which, 198
square miles (512 km2) of it is land and 5 square miles (14 km2) of it (2.80%) is water.
Bordering counties are as follows: