Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Hall County is a county located in the state of Texas. Based on the 2010 census, the population is 3,353. Its county seat is Memphis. The county was created in 1876 and later organized in 1890. It is named for Warren D. C. Hall, a secretary of war for the Republic of Texas.
Warren DeWitt Clinton Hall, a secretary of war for the Republic of Texas
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Hall County is a county located in the US state of Texas. Its county seat is Memphis. Hall County is named for Warren D. C. Hall, a secretary of war for the Republic of Texas.
Handbook of Texas Online
In 1876 the Texas legislature formed Hall County from land formerly assigned to Bexar and Young Counties. With the Comanches removed from the scene, buffalo hunters moved across the plains, and between 1877 and 1882 the buffalo in Hall County were exterminated. The Rath Trail, which ran from Fort Griffin to Adobe Walls, Texas, and then to Dodge City, Kansas, extended through Hall County and was used by buffalo hunters until they left the area, after which it led ranchers and their cattle in. A number of major ranching operations moved into the area during the late 1870s and the 1880s. In 1876 Charles Goodnight and John Adair established the huge JA Ranch, which was headquartered in Armstrong County and spilled over into several surrounding counties, including Hall. The western part of the county, north of the Red River, was considered to be a part of the main JA Ranch into the early twentieth century. In 1878 Leigh R. Dyer established the Lazy F Ranch in eastern Briscoe and western Hall counties. Charles Goodnight had taken this range by 1879; by 1882 it operated as the Quitaque Ranch of the JA. The Diamond Tail Ranch of William R. Curtis also appeared in 1879, spread over northeast Hall County, and extended into Donley, Childress, and Collingsworth counties. In 1880, Thomas S. Bugbee and L. G. Coleman established the Shoe Bar Ranch to the east of the JA holdings in western Hall County; their ranch, operated informally for over a decade, became the Shoe Bar officially in 1891. In 1885 Orville H. Nelson started a small (twenty-section) ranch called the Bar 96 and began raising only blooded Herefords. The Continental Land and Cattle Company brought its Mill Iron Ranch to Hall County in 1888. This huge operation covered all of southern Hall County (east of the Quitaque Ranch) as well as large parts of Childress, Motley, Collingsworth, and Cottle counties. By 1890, seventy-nine ranches and farms had been established in the county and the population had increased to 703. Almost no crops were grown in the county at this time; the agricultural census for that year reported only seventeen acres planted with corn, the county's most important crop More at
Donald R. Abbe, "HALL COUNTY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hch02), accessed January 23, 2016. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 904 square miles (2,342 km2), of which, 903
square miles (2,339 km2) of it is land and 1 square miles (3 km2) of it (0.11%) is water.
Bordering counties are as follows:
Hall County is served by these districts:
Memphis Independent School District
Turkey-Quitaque Independent School District
Childress Independent School District (partial)