Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Hardin County is a county located in the state of Texas, United States. Based on the 2010 census, its population was 54,635. The county
seat is Kountze. The county is named for the family of William Hardin from Liberty County, Texas.
Hardin County is part of the Beaumont-Port Arthur, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area.
the Hardin family in Liberty County, Texas
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
The county is named for a family from Liberty County, Texas. The seat of the county is Kountze
The current Hardin County Courthouse was built in 1959. It is at least the third courthouse to serve Hardin County
Handbook of Texas Online
After the revolution of 1836 the area was split between the jurisdictions of Liberty and Jefferson counties. By 1858 the region's population had increased sufficiently to warrant establishment of its own county government. In response, the state legislature established Hardin County, drawing territory from both the parent counties, early in that year. Legislators specified that the county's name honor the Hardin family of Liberty and instructed that the county seat, to be located within five miles of the center, also bear that name. After the election of Hampton J. Herrington as chief justice (i.e., county judge), the first session of the county court convened outdoors under an enormous dogwood tree. A log courthouse was completed in 1859 and followed later by a frame structure. Hardin remained the county seat until the mid-1880s. In 1881 the Sabine and East Texas Railroad bypassed that community in favor of its own newly established town, Kountze, two miles east of Hardin. Agitation soon developed for removal of county government to the new site. In the resulting election a majority of voters favored Hardin, but a courthouse fire in August 1886 reopened the issue. A second vote settled the matter permanently in favor of Kountze. After meeting in other structures, county officers accepted the 1904 offer of town founders Herman and Augustus Kountze of land for a courthouse site. The resulting domed courthouse was replaced by a $1.5 million, three-story, split-level structure in 1959 More at
Patricia L. Duncan, "HARDIN COUNTY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hch06), accessed January 24, 2016. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Hardin County is located on the flat coastal plains of Southeast Texas, roughly thirty miles (50 km) north of the
Gulf of Mexico. The county is largely covered by the dense forest of the Big Thicket. It is crossed by numerous
small streams and creeks which drain the county into the Neches River, which forms the eastern boundary of the
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 897 square miles (2,324 km2), of which, 894 square miles (2,316 km2) of it is land and 3 square miles (8 km2) of it (0.34%) is water.
Bordering counties are as follows: