Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Hockley County is a county located in the state of Texas. Based on the 2010 census, its population was 22,935. Its county seat is Levelland.
The county was created in 1876 but not organized until 1921. It is named for George Washington Hockley, a Secretary of War of the Republic of
Hockley County comprises the Levelland Micropolitan Statistical Area, which is included in the Lubbock-Levelland Combined Statistical Area (CSA).
George Washington Hockley, Chief of Staff of the Texas Army during the Texas Revolution, artillery commander during the Battle of San Jacinto, and secretary of war of the Republic of Texas
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Hockley County was formed in 1876 from portions of Bexar and Young Counties. It was named for George Washington Hockley, the commander of artillery in the Battle of San Jacinto and later Secretary of War of the Republic of Texas. The county seat is Levelland
Handbook of Texas Online
In 1876 the Texas legislature formed Hockley County from lands formerly assigned to Bexar and Young counties. Because settlers were slow to move into the area, however, the county was assigned to Lubbock County for administrative purposes until 1920. Until the early twentieth century, the area was dominated by a few large cattle operations. The Causeys were the first settlers in the area; after several years of buffalo hunting in Kansas and Texas, they established a base at Yellow House Canyon in 1877 and built the first house in the county. When the buffalo herds were depleted, the Causeys went into the bone business, and in 1882 they established a ranch. In 1885, however, the XIT Ranch, one of the state's largest cattle-raising ventures, was founded in the area, and the Causeys were forced to move. More at
John Leffler, "HOCKLEY COUNTY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hch16), accessed January 24, 2016. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 909 square miles (2,353 km2), of which, 908
square miles (2,352 km2) of it is land and 1 square miles (1 km2) of it (0.03%) is water.
Bordering counties are as follows: