Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Kimble County is a county located on the Edwards Plateau in the state of Texas. Based on the 2010 census, its population was 4,607. Its county seat is Junction. The county was created in 1858 and organized in 1876. It is named for George C. Kimble, who died at the Battle of the Alamo.
George C. Kimbell, who died at the Battle of the Alamo
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Prior to the arrival of foreign settlers, the area that would later become Kimble County was inhabited by several
Native American groups, including the Comanche, Kiowa, Kiowa Apache, and Lipan Apache. The first Europeans to encounter the area were the
Spanish, who led several campaigns against the local Indian tribes in the mid-18th century. In 1808, Spanish Captain Francisco Amangual
commanded a military expedition from San Antonio to Santa Fe and mapped a road, which passed through what is now Kimble County. The area was
first mentioned in Republic of Texas documents in 1842, when approximately 416,000 aces of the present county were included in the
Fisher-Miller Land Grant, which extended from the Llano River to the Colorado River.
The earliest settlers began arriving in the late 1850s. One of the first was Raleigh Gentry, who settled along Bear Creek around 1857. The Gentry family consisted of Raleigh, his wife, and their several adult sons. Another early settler was James Bradbury, Sr., who moved to the area from Williamson County and chose a site along the banks of the South Llano River. Others settled in the Big and Little Saline valleys. Two of the Gentry's sons would later be killed, one by Indians and the other during the Civil War. Bradbury was also killed by Indians during what would later become known as the Battle of Bradbury Hills.
The Texas Legislature enacted legislation on January 22, 1858, creating Kimble County from what was previously part of Bexar County. The new county was named for Lieutenant George C. Kimble (sometimes spelled Kimbell), who died during the Battle of the Alamo. From 1858 to 1875, Kimble County was attached to Gillespie County for judicial purposes.
Meanwhile, several settlements sprang up along the Johnson Fork of the Llano River, near Copperas Creek, and in the valleys of the James River after the Civil War. Throughout the 1870s, the lightly populated settlements of Kimble County faced raids by Comanches as well as Lipans and Kickapoos who used Mexico as their base. All raids ceased after 1878. The county also became a popular haven for outlaws that used the areas hilly terrain and dense cedar brakes as hideouts.
On September 6, 1875, Kimble County was separated from Gillespie County and attached to Menard County for judicial purposes.
Nearly 18 years after its creation, Kimble County was officially organized on January 3, 1876. William Potter was the county's first judge. That spring, the towns of Kimbleville and Denman (quickly changed to Junction City) were founded. Kimbleville was designated the first county seat. During the first district court session, however, the seat was moved to Junction City. Kimbleville soon disappeared largely due to its location in a flood-prone area of the county.
Handbook of Texas Online
On January 22, 1858, Kimble County was formed by the Texas legislature from lands formerly assigned to Bexar County and was attached to Gillespie County for judicial purposes. Following the Civil War settlements sprang up at the Johnson Fork of the Llano River, on Copperas Creek, and in the valleys of the James River. The first store in Kimble County was built in 1873 at the Johnson Fork. It was supplied by goods freighted in ox wagons from Kerrville. Comanches raided the settlements frequently until Gen. Ranald S. Mackenzie drove them onto reservations and killed their horses in 1874 and 1875. Lipans and Kickapoos, using Mexico as a base, continued to make raids extending into Kimble County, but the last serious attack took place in 1876. The raids ceased after 1878. The county was also a popular haven for outlaws, who used its hilly terrain and dense cedar brakes to hide out. Such noted bandits and gunmen as Rube Boyce, the McKeevers, the Dublin Gang, and John P. Ringo of the Mason County War spent time there. Texas Rangers based on Bear Creek conducted a large-scale roundup in 1877 and brought prisoners to Junction City for trial More at
Nolan Thompson, "KIMBLE COUNTY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hck07), accessed January 24, 2016. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,251 square miles (3,240 km2), of which,
1,250 square miles (3,239 km2) of it is land and 1 square miles (1 km2) of it (0.02%) is water.
Bordering counties are as follows:
The Junction Independent School District serves most of Kimble County, including the city of Junction as well as the communities of London, Roosevelt, and Telegraph. The southeastern portion of the county is part of the Harper Independent School District, which is headquartered in the Gillespie County community of Harper. There is also a very small portion of the county that lies within the Mason Independent School District.