Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Lamar County is a county located in the state of Texas. Based on the 2010 census, its population was 49,793. Its county seat is Paris. The
county was formed by the Congress of the Republic of Texas on December 17, 1840 and organized the next year. It is named for Mirabeau
Buonaparte Lamar, the second president of Texas.
Lamar County comprises the Paris, TX Micropolitan Statistical Area.
Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar, the third president of the Republic of Texas
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Lamar County is a county located in the US state of Texas. Its county seat is Paris. The county is named for Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar, the second president of the Republic of Texas.
Handbook of Texas Online
Settlement began in the Red River valley well before the Texas Revolution. The first Americans are believed to have settled there about 1815. More families arrived in 1816, and there are reports of an Indian massacre of settlers at New Settlement, on Pine Creek near the Red River, in 1820. Although George W. Wright is often considered the first permanent settler in the area, his family settled downriver at Pecan Point in 1816 and did not actually move to the future Lamar County until 1839. The area of present Lamar County was within the boundaries of Red River County at the time of the Republic of Texas. By 1840 population growth necessitated a new county, and legislation was introduced by representatives from Red River County. Wright, who had served in the Third Congress as a representative from Red River County, was a major promoter of the founding of Lamar County, which was established by act of the Fifth Congress of the republic on December 17, 1840, and organized by election on February 1, 1841. At the time, the county included much of what is now Delta County. In 1870 Delta County was formed, and Lamar County was reduced to its present size. The county was named for Mirabeau B. Lamar, the fourth president of the Republic of Texas. The original county seat was Lafayette, a small settlement located several miles northwest of the site of present-day Paris. On June 22, 1841, forty acres of land was donated by John Watson for building a proper county seat, but though the town was platted, no lots were ever sold. The county court continued to meet at Lafayette, however, until the Texas Congress passed a law in 1842 requiring that each county seat be located within five miles of the geographic center of the county. Mount Vernon was made Lamar county seat in 1843, but again no courthouse was built. In 1844 Wright, who had purchased 1,000 acres near the settlement of Pinhook, offered to donate fifty acres to the county for a townsite if the county commissioners would make it the county seat. The offer was accepted, and the new town was named Paris. The first term of the county court was held there on April 29, 1844. Paris is still the county seat More at
Michael M. Ludeman, "LAMAR COUNTY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hcl01), accessed January 24, 2016. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Modified on October 9, 2015. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 932 square miles (2,415 km2), of which, 917
square miles (2,375 km2) of it is land and 15 square miles (40 km2) of it (1.68%) is water.
Bordering counties are as follows:
The following school districts serve Lamar County:
Chisum ISD (small portion in Delta County)
Fannindel ISD (mostly in Delta and Fannin counties; small portion in Hunt County)
Honey Grove ISD (mostly in Fannin County)
North Lamar ISD
Prairiland ISD (small portion in Red River County)
In addition, Paris Junior College serves the county.