South Boston, in Halifax County, was named for Boston, Massachusetts. The town originally was located on the south side of the Dan River and called Boyd's Ferry.
South Boston is a town in Halifax County, Virginia, United States.
The city of South Boston reverted to the county in 1995.
On December 8, 1796, the General Assembly authorized eight commissioners to establish at Boyd's Ferry on the south side of the Dan River the town of South Boston, named for Boston, Massachusetts. Because this site proved vulnerable to flooding it was eventually abandoned in favor of a new settlement on the north side. By the 1850s the Richmond and Danville Railroad passed through South Boston, which eventually developed into an important market for brightleaf tobacco. In 1884 it was incorporated as a town; in 1960 it became an independent city by court order. South Boston became a town again and rejoined Halifax County on June 30, 1995.
Boyd's Ferry (later South Boston), Virginia was established in 1796. [Virginia Genealogy, Sources & Resources, by Carol McGinnis, Genealogical Publishing Inc., Baltimore, MD, 1993.]
South Boston, Virginia was incorporated as a town in 1884 and incorporated as a city in 1960. First established on the south side of the Dan River in 1796 and named Boyd's Ferry. It was destroyed by floods and reestablished on the north side of the Dan River. [Virginia Genealogy, Sources & Resources, by Carol McGinnis, Genealogical Publishing Inc., Baltimore, MD, 1993.]
Halifax County was named for George Montagu Dunk, second earl of Halifax, who was president of the Board of Trade from 1748 to 1761. It was formed from Lunenburg County in 1752. Its area is 805.7 square miles, and the county seat is Halifax. The city of South Boston reverted to the county in 1995.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer