Hall County is a county located in the state of Georgia. Based on the 2010 census, the
population was 179,684. Hall County was
created on December 15, 1818. The county
Gainesville. The county is named in honor of Dr. Lyman
Hall (1724-1790), one of Georgia's delegates to the Continental Congress
who signed the Declaration of Independence. He became the governor of
Georgia in 1783.
Hall County comprises the Gainesville, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area, which is also part of the Atlanta-Athens-Clarke County-Sandy Springs, GA Combined Statistical Area.
The county is named for Dr. Lyman Hall, signer of the Declaration of Independence and later governor of Georgia.
County QuickFacts: Census Bureau Quick Facts
Hall County was created in 1818 from Indian treaty lands. Georgia's 44th county was named for Dr. Lyman Hall, signer of the Declaration of Independence and later governor of Georgia.
The county seat is Gainesville, which may have been named for early settlers in the area, or for General Edmund P. Gaines, who arrested Aaron Burr for treason.
Gainesville's municipal power plant was built in 1899. Gainesville was the first southern city to have electric streetlights.
Gainesville is often referred to as the "Poultry Capital of the World."
Hall County is split by the Chattahoochee River and Lake Lanier, the most northerly impoundment of the river. Lake Lanier is a major recreation and tourism site and served as the venue for many of the rowing and kayaking events in the 1996 Olympic Games.
General James Longstreet of the Confederate Army made his post-Civil War home in Hall County. He was appointed Minister to Turkey by President Grant.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 429 square miles (1,110 km2), of which 393 square miles (1,020 km2) is land and 37 square miles (96 km2) (8.5%) is water.
Hall county is located in north Georgia. The county is in the Chattahoochee River basin and the Oconee River basin
Bordering counties are as follows:
Gainesville College and Brenau University.