Laurens County is a county located in the state of Georgia. Based on the 2010 census, the
population was 48,434. The county was
created on December 10, 1807. The county
seat is Dublin. Laurens county is named after Lieutenant Colonel John Laurens, an American soldier and statesman from
South Carolina during the American Revolutionary War.
Laurens County is part of the Dublin, Georgia Micropolitan Statistical Area.
The county is named in honor of Colonel John Laurens, an aide-de-camp to General George Washington.
County QuickFacts: Census Bureau Quick Facts
Taken from Wilkinson County in 1807 and absorbing part of Washington County in 1811, Laurens County was named in honor of Colonel John Laurens, an aide-de-camp to General George Washington.
Dublin was named at the request of an Irishman, Jonathan Sawyer, who donated the land for the town after stipulating its name. He wanted to please his wife, who was from Dublin.
The Ocute Indian Mounds at Blackshear's Ferry date back to 1000 B.C.
In the Oconee River, on the Laurens County border, government biologists have discovered what seems to be a new species of fish.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 818 square miles (2,120 km2), of which 807 square miles (2,090 km2) is land and 11 square miles (28 km2) (1.4%) is water.
Laurens county is located close to the center of Georgia. The county is the third-largest county in Georgia by land area and fourth-largest by total area. Laurens is in the Ocmulgee River basin and the Oconee River basin.
Bordering counties are as follows:
Heart of Georgia Institute