Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Wheeler County is a county located in the state of Nebraska. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 818. Its county seat is Bartlett. The county was formed in 1877 and later organized in 1881. It was named after Major Daniel H. Wheeler.
Named the county in honor of Maj. Daniel H. Wheeler, a long-time secretary of the Nebraska State Board of Agriculture.
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
On Feb. 17, 1877, the boundaries of
Wheeler County were established by the Legislature and named the new county in
honor of Maj. Daniel H. Wheeler, a long-time secretary of the Nebraska State
Board of Agriculture. It would be four years later, however, that the county
would officially organize.
Gov. Albinus Nance appointed a special board of commissioners and a county clerk who would be responsible for the organization efforts. At the time the county was being organized it included the area that is today neighboring Garfield County to the west. The commissioners agreed to meet at a county seat known as Cedar City because it was a central location. Cedar City, so named because three large cedar trees stood there, was located approximately six miles north of the present town of Ericson.
In 1881 residents in the western half of the county proposed their area should become a separate county and in November of that year Wheeler County was divided.
The question of where Wheeler County should locate its government offices became an important topic in 1885. Cumminsville, the first townsite in the county, sought the honor. So too did an area just south of where Bartlett is located today. The Bartlett site offered several incentives, including land on which to build a courthouse. After two special elections, Bartlett was selected over Cumminsville by a vote of 193 to 90.
A modest courthouse was soon built in Bartlett. A fire-proof brick vault was built in Ericson to hold valuable county records. This decision proved to be wise, as in 1909 the courthouse was destroyed by fire. Ericson made an effort to relocate the county seat there. But in a special election, voters rejected the idea and instead approved a $5,000 expenditure to replace the courthouse. This structure was completed in 1920.
In 1976 the courthouse building was condemned by the State Fire Marshal. Concerned citizens began efforts to replace it. After more than six years of study, the present courthouse was completed in May 1982.
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 576 square miles (1,490 km2), of which 575 square miles (1,490 km2) is
land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2) (0.07%) is water.
Bordering counties are as follows: