There are fourteen counties in Vermont. Each county has a county seat, known in
Vermont as shire town. In 1777, Vermont had two counties. The western side of the state was called Bennington
County and the eastern was called Cumberland County. In 1781 Cumberland County was broken up into three counties
in Vermont, plus Washington County, which eventually became part of New Hampshire. Today's Washington County was
known as Jefferson County until 1814. Essex County, Orleans County, and Caledonia County are commonly referred
to as the Northeast Kingdom.
Get Your Degree!
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Washington County Education, Geography, and History
Washington County is a county located in the state of Vermont, named after George Washington. Based on the 2010 census, the population was
59,534, making it the third-most populous county in Vermont, but the second-least populous capital county in the nation, after Hughes County,
South Dakota. Its shire town is Montpelier, the state capital. The county was created in 1810 as Jefferson County and organized the following
Washington County comprises the Barre, VT Micropolitan Statistical Area.
County is one of several Vermont counties created from land ceded by the state of New York on January 15, 1777 when Vermont declared itself to
be a distinct state from New York The land originally was contested by Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and New Netherland, but it remained
undelineated until July 20, 1764 when King George III established the boundary between New Hampshire and New York along the west bank of the
Connecticut River, north of Massachusetts and south of the parallel of 45 degrees north latitude. New York assigned the land gained to Albany
County. On March 12, 1772 Albany County was partitioned to create Charlotte County, and this situation remained until Vermont's independence
from New York and Britain.
Washington County was originally established as Jefferson County in 1810 from parts of Caledonia County, Chittenden County, and Orange County.
In 1814, it was renamed Washington County.
Geography: Land and Water
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 695 square miles (1,801 km2), of which, 689
square miles (1,785 km2) of it is land and 6 square miles (16 km2) of it (0.90%) is water.