There are seventy-two counties in the state of Wisconsin. Wisconsin became part of the Territory of Michigan and divided into two counties: Brown County in the northeast along Lake Michigan and Crawford County in the southwest along the Mississippi River. The state of Wisconsin was created from Wisconsin Territory on May 29, 1848, with 28 counties.
Burnett County is a county located in the state of Wisconsin. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 15,457. Its county seat is
Meenon with the majority of county governmental services located at the Burnett County Government Center. The county was created in 1856
and organized in 1865.
Etymology - Origin of Burnett County Name
Burnett County was named for Thomas P. Burnett, an early Wisconsin legislator (Wis. Hist. Colls., ii,
p. 325; Gannett, Place Names, p. 55). Although of Virginia birth, Burnett (1800-46) emigrated to Kentucky when a child,
and was there educated, practicing law at Paris in that state. In 1829 he was appointed sub-Indian agent at Prairie du
Chien, and thereafter made that place his home until 1837, when he removed to Cassville. After five years service in the
Indian department he again took up the practice of law, and was influential in Wisconsin Territorial legislation.
[Source: Kellogg, Louise Phelps. "Derivation of County Names" in Proceedings of the State Historical Society of
Wisconsin for 1909, pages 219-231.]
Burnett County lies in the St. Croix River Valley.
The first Indians in Burnett County were the Sioux, who were later driven out by the Chippewas. One of the
well-known fur-trading centers was at Trade Lake with Trader Carlson who could speak the language of the Chippewas.
Ten cents was a good price for a muskrat pelt and a quarter was the usual price for a skunk, beaver or mink pelt.
Early white settlers were mostly Norwegian and Swedish immigrants.
1833 A mission was established at the outlet of Yellow Lake. The first school in Burnett County was opened
on September 16, 1833
July 29, 1837 The United States purchased the St. Croix River valley from the Indians.
1854 Canute Anderson, the "Father of Burnett County," arrived and settled about four miles south of
Grantsburg. For several years he was the lone resident in that area. The Anderson home was the center of most of
the social activity in the early days.
1856 The state of Wisconsin passed a law creating the county of Burnett. There were nine more changes in
territory before Burnett acquired its present shape.
1856 to December 31, 1864 Because the population of Burnett County was not large enough to support a
separate government, it was attached to Polk County.
1860 First census showed only 12 white people living in Burnett County.
March 1, 1865 This county was separated from Polk County of which it was originally a part. The
newly-established Burnett county included the area that is now Washburn County.
1865 - 1875 All of Burnett County was organized as one town.
1869 First Baptist Church
1883 Washburn County was separated from Burnett County.
Jan. 22, 1884 First train into Grantsburg
1910 First Catholic Church
1911 First Sioux Line Railroad
Above facts were taken from PIONEER TALES OF BURNETT COUNTY, compiled by the Burnett County Homemakers Club, and
BURNETT COUNTY THROUGH THE YEARS.
Geography: Land and Water
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 880 square miles (2,280 km2), of which, 822
square miles (2,128 km2) of it is land and 59 square miles (152 km2) of it (6.69%) is water.