Winston County is a county of the state of Alabama. As of the 2010 census, the population was 24,484. Its county seat is Double Springs. Known as Hancock County before 1858, The county is named in honor of John A. Winston, the 15th Governor of Alabama.
It was named for Gov. John Hancock of Massachusetts.
County QuickFacts: Census Bureau Quick Facts
Formed as Hancock County in Feb 12, 1850, the territory formerly in Walker County. It was named for Gov. John Hancock of Massachusetts. On January 22, 1858, the name was changed to honor Alabama Gov. John A. Winston.
The county is located in the northwestern part of the state, in the Appalachian foothills. It currently encompasses 614 square miles. The county contains rich mineral deposits. Today a large portion of the county is part of the William B. Bankhead National Forest. The county seat is located in Double Springs. The county gained notoriety during the Civil War due to its reluctance to support the Confederacy, a sentiment so strong that the county is sometimes referred to as the Republic of Winston. The county today plays on its reputation as the "Free State of Winston" to attract tourists. The county's opposition to the Confederacy is briefly mentioned in the novels To Kill a Mockingbird and Addie Pray.
In 1883 the county seat was moved from Houston to Double Springs to be near the center of the county, since Cullman County was created from the eastern part of Winston County.
The civil-rights judge Frank Minis Johnson of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit was born in Delmar, in Winston County.
According to the US Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 631 square miles (1,630 km2), of which 613 square miles (1,590 km2) is
land and 1.9 square miles (4.9 km2) (3.0%) is water
Winston County has four sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Archeological Site No. 1WI50, Feldman's Department Store, the Houston Jail, and the Winston County Courthouse
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer