County Seat: Wampsville
Year Organized: 1806
Square Miles: 656
P.O. Box 635
Namedafter James Madison, fourth President of the United States
County QuickFacts: Census Bureau Quick Facts
Madison County, was taken from Chenango county in 1806, and named after James Madison, president of the United States. Greatest length N. and 5. 33, greatest breadth E. and W. 32 miles. Centrally distant from New York 250, from Albany 108 miles. The surface of the county is much diversified. The middle and southern towns are more or less uneven and hilly; but the northern is more level. In the northern part much wheat is produced: the southern is better adapted to grass. The county is generally well watered. The route of the Chenango canal follows up the Oriskany, and crosses thence into the Chenango valley. (Historical Collections of the State of New York, Past and Present, John Barber, Clark Albien & Co., 1851)
This section was at one time the seat of the Oneida Indians, of the famed Iroquois Confederacy. The Oneida Castle site was chosen with true Indian sagacity as their village. It rested at the foot of one of the largest valleys, occupied by the Chenango River. The area in general was characterized by rolling highland, with exceptionally steep slopes, subsiding into flat, swampy land. The Oneidas thus had abundant opportunities for crude agriculture in rich soil and for unexampled fishing. The Oneidas were invaluable friends to the English and helped to check French expansion on this continent. Eventually, the Oneidas moved west. President James Madison is memorialized by the county’s name. Full History at NYSAC
According to the US Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 662 square miles (1,713 km2), of which, 656
square miles (1,699 km2) of it is land and 6 square miles (15 km2) of it (0.86%) is water.
Madison County is located in west central New York State, east of Syracuse, north of Binghamton, and slightly north of due west from Albany. Madison County contains the geographic center of the state at Pratts Hollow in the Town of Eaton.
Oneida Lake and Oneida Creek define part of the northern boundary. Chittenango Creek defines part of the western boundary.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer