Walworth County is a county located in the state of South Dakota. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 5,438. Its county seat is
Selby. The county was created in 1873 and organized in 1883. It is named after Walworth County, Wisconsin.
Walworth County, created in 1852, organized in 1883, was named for Walworth County, Wisconsin by settlers from that
area. The first county seat was Scranton, which was later added to and called South LeBeau. The voters decided in
November of 1884 that the county seat should be moved to Bangor, the center of the county. The long struggle for the
county seat began in the summer of 1900 between Selby and Bangor. This battle continued until early in 1908 when the
court gave the seat to Selby.
Geography: Land and Water
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 744 square miles (1,928 km2), of which, 708
square miles (1,833 km2) of it is land and 36 square miles (94 km2) of it (4.89%) is water.