County Seat: Shelbyville
Year Organized: 1807
Square Miles: 474
1 Public Square
Named in honor of Thomas Bedford, Jr. (? - 1804), Revolutionary War officer, middle Tennessee land owner of Jefferson Springs in Rutherford County who contributed to the development of that area.
County QuickFacts: Census Bureau Quick Facts
Created 1807 from Rutherford County and Indian lands; named in honor of Thomas Bedford, Jr. (? - 1804), Revolutionary War officer, middle Tennessee land owner of Jefferson Springs in Rutherford County who contributed to the development of that area.
Bedford County was formed in 1807 from parts partof Rutherford County and Indian lands. (Acts of Tennessee 1807, Chapter 37).
The Tennessee General Assembly established Bedford County on December 7, 1807, from land taken from Rutherford County. The first court met at the home of the widow Ann Payne in what is now Moore County. Settlement of the area progressed slowly after an initial expedition in 1783 led by Alexander Greer, who later settled at Greer's Lick on land he marked during the expedition. Samuel Barton and the Edmiston Land Company carried out other early expeditions. Few settlers arrived until after 1806. Some brought Revolutionary War grants from North Carolina; others came with Tennessee grants, awarded from 1800 to 1810. In 1808 Andrew Erwin purchased fifty-five thousand acres from Norton Pryor. A bitter title dispute arose between Andrew Jackson, who served as Pryor's agent, and Erwin. Litigation continued until 1824, when a compromise settlement was reached.
Find more from the Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture: BEDFORD COUNTY
According to the US Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 475 square miles (1,230 km2), of which, 474
square miles (1,227 km2) of it is land and 1 square miles (3 km2) of it (0.25%) is water.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer