County Seat: Pikeville
Year Organized: 1807
Square Miles: 406
P. O. Box 149
Named in honor of Anthony Bledsoe (1733-1788), colonial and Revolutionary War soldier, surveyor, Tennessee militia colonel and early settler of Sumner County who was killed by Indians.
County QuickFacts: Census Bureau Quick Facts
Created 1807 from Roane County and Indian lands; named in honor of Anthony Bledsoe (1733-1788), colonial and Revolutionary War soldier, surveyor, Tennessee militia colonel and early settler of Sumner County who was killed by Indians.
Bledsoe County was formed in 1807 from parts of Roane County and Indian lands. (Acts of Tennessee 1807, Chapter 9).
The oldest and northernmost county in the Sequatchie Valley is Bledsoe County; it became Tennessee's thirty-third
county by an act of the Tennessee legislature in November 1807. It was named for Anthony Bledsoe, a Revolutionary
War patriot who migrated to Tennessee from Virginia in the late 1700s.
Nature divided Bledsoe County's 404 square miles into three distinct regions: Sequatchie Valley, Cumberland Plateau, and Walden Ridge. In 1795 John McClellen and Charles McClung explored the area of the Sequatchie Valley that would become Bledsoe County. They praised the rich soil as equivalent to any land in the world, but settlers generally avoided the area until after the Third Tellico Treaty of 1805. Several early settlers accepted Sequatchie land as payment for service in the Revolutionary War.
Find more from the Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture: BLEDSOE COUNTY
According to the US Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 407 square miles (1,053 km2), of which, 406 square miles (1,052 km2) of it is land and 0 square miles (1 km2) of it (0.10%) is water.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer