Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Cannon County is a county located in the state of Tennessee. Cannon County was established by the Tennessee state legislature on January
31, 1836. It was formed from portions of Rutherford, Smith, and Warren counties and was named for Governor Newton Cannon. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 13,801. Its county seat is Woodbury.
Cannon County is part of the Nashville - Davidson-Murfreesboro-Franklin, TN Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Named in honor of Newton Cannon (1781-1841), Creek War and War of 1812 soldier, Tennessee state senator, US congressman, first Whig governor of Tennessee.
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Created 1836 from Rutherford, Smith and Warren counties; named in honor of Newton Cannon (1781-1841), Creek War and War of 1812 soldier, Tennessee state senator, US congressman, first Whig governor of Tennessee.
Cannon County was formed in 1836 from Rutherford, Smith and Warren counties. (Private Acts of Tennessee 1835-36, Chapter 33).
Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture
Cannon County was established on January 31, 1836, when the state legislature took portions of Rutherford, Smith, and Warren Counties to create the new county of Cannon, named in honor of Whig Governor Newton Cannon. (Two years later, the legislature added a portion of Wilson County, creating the present county boundaries.) The county's first settlers moved to present-day western Cannon County, around the Readyville and Bradyville areas, during the late 1790s. Hugh P. Brawley operated a grist mill at Brawley Fork as early as 1808.
The first village of any size, however, was Danville, which became the initial county seat. Its name was soon changed to Woodbury to honor Levi Woodbury, the Democratic secretary of the treasury. In 1836 Henry Trott and William Bates laid out new lots for Woodbury, and their plan adapted the earlier linear street plan of Danville into a central courthouse square plan. The present Cannon County Courthouse, built in 1935, features a striking Colonial Revival design by Nashville architect George Waller and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Other local properties in the National Register are the Houston House, a vernacular Greek Revival-style I-house associated with Democratic Congressman William C. Houston; the Adams House, the last remaining dormitory of the Baptist Female College and the later home of prominent physician Jesse F. Adams; the Wharton House, a vernacular Queen Anne dwelling from the late nineteenth century; and the Readyville Mill, a nineteenth- and twentieth-century grist mill complex. Find more from the Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture: CANNON COUNTY
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 266 square miles (688 km2), of which, 266 square miles (688 km2) of it is land and 0 square miles (0 km2) of it (0.02%) is water.
This was part of the Middle Tennessee region, with mixed farming and livestock raising, including of thoroughbred horses.
Bordering counties are as follows: