County Seat: Alamo
Year Organized: 1871
Square Miles: 265
1 South Bells Street
Named in honor of David Crockett (1786-1836), frontier humorist, author, soldier, state legislator, US congressman, defender and a casualty of the Alamo in the Texas war for independence.
County QuickFacts: Census Bureau Quick Facts
Created 1871 from Haywood, Madison, Dyer and Gibson counties; named in honor of David Crockett (1786-1836), frontier humorist, author, soldier, state legislator, US congressman, defender and a casualty of the Alamo in the Texas war for independence.
Crockett County was formed in 1871 from Dyer, Gibson, Haywood and Madison counties. (Acts of Tennessee 1845-46, Chapter 25).
The desire for more convenient access to county government brought together the citizens of the outlying regions
of Dyer, Gibson, Haywood, and Madison Counties to petition the Tennessee General Assembly for the formation of a new
county first in 1832 and again, thirteen years later, in 1845. Both petitions were unsuccessful. In November 1871,
though, the legislature finally provided relief for the isolated farmers by enacting legislation to form Crockett
County, named for the famous Tennessean Davy Crockett. Appropriately, the county seat was named Alamo, after the
historic mission in San Antonio, Texas, where Crockett died in 1836. Two commissioners from each county from which
land was taken met to establish county government. The county courthouse, which was completed in 1874, continues to
serve local needs.
The 265 square miles of Crockett County lying in the Mississippi River drainage area are covered with fertile farm land that has few hilly sections. Since no town has a population of over 2,500, the entire county is classified as rural. When the Tennessee Department of Agriculture established its Century Farms program in 1976, it identified eleven historic family farms, the oldest of which was the Frog Jump Farm that Dr. Samuel Oldham Sr. established with 1,500 acres in 1830. Cotton was Oldham's primary crop, but other nineteenth-century farmers in Crockett County produced wheat, small grains, corn, and livestock. In the twentieth century several families turned to specialized cash crops. At the Hillcrest Farm, for instance, Columbus H. Conley managed fruit orchards, strawberry patches, and a honey bee yard while operating a sorghum mill. He also established the Bank of Alamo, and its classical-style brick building in the county seat has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Find more from the Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture: CROCKETT COUNTY
According to the US Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 265 square miles (688 km2), of which, 265
square miles (687 km2) of it is land and 0 square miles (1 km2) of it (0.08%) is water.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer