Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Dickson County is a county located in the state of Tennessee. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 49,666. October 25, 1803 the
Tennessee General Assembly passed a bill creating Dickson County, the 25th of Tennessee's 95 counties. It was formed from parts of Montgomery
and Robertson counties, and was named for William Dickson, a Nashville physician then serving in the United States Congress. Dickson never
lived in the county, but his relatives were prominent in its early development. Dickson was a close friend of President Andrew Jackson. Its
county seat is Charlotte.
Dickson County is part of the Nashville-Davidson–Murfreesboro–Franklin, TN Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Named in honor of William Dickson (1770- 1816), Nashville physician, member and speaker of the state house, US congressman, trustee of the University of Nashville.
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Created 1803 from Montgomery and Robertson counties; named in honor of William Dickson (1770- 1816), Nashville physician, member and speaker of the state house, US congressman, trustee of the University of Nashville.
Dickson County was formed in 1803 from Montgomery and Robertson counties. (Acts of Tennessee 1803, Chapter 66).
Dickson County is home to Tennessee's oldest courthouse in continuous use, built in 1835. This is the second courthouse in Charlotte as the first one, a log building, was destroyed in the Tornado of 1833, which destroyed all but one building on the courthouse square.
Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture
The Tennessee General Assembly formed Dickson County on October 25, 1803, from the counties of Montgomery and Robertson and named it in honor of Congressman William Dickson, a Nashville physician. An industrial county from its inception, Dickson County was part of the frontier until 1818. The first court justices included several well-known Tennesseans: Montgomery Bell, William Doak, William Russell, Sterling Brewer, Gabriel Allen, Lemuel Harvey, Jesse Craft, Richard C. Napier, and William Teas. They organized the county on March 19, 1804, at the home of Robert Nesbitt on Barton's Creek. Later sessions of the court met at the homes of Colonel John Nesbitt and John Spencer until the courthouse was completed in 1810.
The county seat of Charlotte, named for James Robertson's wife, was built on 50 acres purchased from Charles Stewart for five thousand dollars. On May 30, 1830, a tornado devastated the town, destroying most of the businesses and homes, as well as the jail and courthouse, along with many county records. A new brick courthouse was completed in 1832 and is now the oldest courthouse in the state. Find more from the Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture: DICKSON COUNTY
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 491 square miles (1,272 km2), of which, 490
square miles (1,269 km2) of it is land and 1 square miles (4 km2) of it (0.29%) is water.
Dickson County is bordered on the NE by the Cumberland River. The county is drained by the Harpeth River.
Bordering counties are as follows: