Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer
Humphreys County is a county located in the state of Tennessee. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 18,538. Its county seat is Waverly.
Named in honor of Parry Wayne Humphreys (1778-1839), judge of the Superior Court of Tennessee, US representative from Tennessee, and longtime judge of the state judicial district.
County QuickFacts: CensusBureau Quick Facts
Created 1809 from Stewart County; named in honor of Parry Wayne Humphreys (1778-1839), judge of the Superior Court of Tennessee, US representative from Tennessee, and longtime judge of the state judicial district.
Humphreys County was formed in 1809 from Stewart County
(Acts of Tennessee 1809, Chapter 31).
Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture
Situated next to the Tennessee River on the western edge of Middle Tennessee, Humphreys County has a history intimately linked to its location and natural resources. It contains fertile agricultural land along its major waterways--the Tennessee, Duck, and Buffalo Rivers--and in the creek-lined lands of its innumerable rolling hills. A strong agricultural tradition and proximity to the Tennessee River have been the county's mainstay since its 1809 creation from parts of Stewart County.
Prior to white settlement Native Americans lived and hunted on the land that eventually became Humphreys County. Of these indigenous groups, Woodland and Mississippian groups left the most visible remains. Many mound sites are located in the western section of the county, with the most prominent being the Link and Slayden sites situated near Hurricane Mills on the Duck River. Partially excavated in 1936 by the Works Progress Administration, the Slayden site revealed a small circular village with two community houses and a nearby cemetery. The Link site contained six mounds and several cemeteries.
In 1811 the county established its first seat, Reynoldsburg, on the Tennessee River, where a stage line to Nashville crossed. Reynoldsburg thrived as an important transportation center until 1835, when the county was divided and Waverly became the new county seat. Selected for its central location and access to the stage line, by 1838 Waverly included a courthouse, jail, businesses, and many log dwellings. Find more from the Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture: HUMPHREYS COUNTY
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 556.72 square miles (1,441.90 km2), of which,
532.22 square miles (1,378.44 km2) of it is land and 24.5 square miles (63.5 km2) of it (4.40%) is water.
Bordering counties are as follows: