|County Seat: Bedford
Year Organized: 1753
Square Miles: 755
122 E. Main Street, Suite 202
Bedford is probably named for John Russell, 4th Duke of Bedford, who handled Great Britain's colonial affairs as Secretary of State for the Southern Department from 1748 to 1751.
County QuickFacts: Census Bureau Quick Facts
Bedford County, Virginia formed from Albemarle and Lunenburg Counties. Legislative enactment in 1753. Organized in 1754. [Virginia Counties: Those Resulting from Virginia Legislation, by Morgan Poitiaux Robinson, originally published as Bulletin of the Virginia State Library, Volume 9, January, April, July 1916, reprinted 1992 by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, MD.]
Bedford County was probably named for John Russell, fourth duke of Bedford, who, as secretary for state for the
southern department from 1748 to 1751, had general supervision of colonial affairs. It was formed from Lunenberg
County in December 13, 1753. Parts of Albemarle County were added in 1754, and an additional part of Lunenberg
County was added later. In 1782, Campbell County was formed for parts of Bedford County. Also in 1786, Franklin
County was formed from Bedford County. Its area is 746 square miles, and the county seat is Bedford. According to
the 2000 census, its population is 60,371.
Bedford County may have also been named for the Fourth Duke of Bedford, a British Government official. In 1839, the Town of Liberty (now the City of Bedford) was established. Originally an agricultural economy, Bedford's industrial development began in 1880, and since that time industrial growth has been consistent and often fostered by the involvement of local citizens. In the early 1980s, the city undertook renovation of its historic downtown district and became one of Virginia's first Main Street Cities
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer