The City of Radford, in Montgomery County, was at different times known as Lovely Mount, English Ferry, Ingles's Ferry, Central Depot, and Central City. The town of Central City was established in 1885 and incorporated in 1887. Its name was changed to Radford in 1890 to honor John Blair Radford, a prominent local citizen, and it was incorporated as a city in 1892.
County QuickFacts: City Of Radford
Central City, Virginia (later called Radford) established as a town in 1885. [Virginia Genealogy, Sources & Resources, by Carol McGinnis, Genealogical Publishing Inc., Baltimore, MD, 1993.]
Radford, Virginia (called Central City at the time) was incorporated as a town in 1887. Named changed to Radford in 1890. Incorporated as a city in 1892. Earlier names included Lovely Mounty, English Ferry, Ingle's Ferry, and Central Depot. Located in Montgomery County, Virginia. [Virginia Genealogy, Sources & Resources, by Carol McGinnis, Genealogical Publishing Inc., Baltimore, MD, 1993.]
Radford, Virginia chartered as an independent city in 1892. [County Courthouse Book, by Elizabeth Petty Bentley, Genealogical Publishing Inc., Baltimore, MD, 1990.]
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 10.2 square miles (26.4 km2), of
which, 9.8 square miles (25.4 km2) of it is land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2) of it (3.63%) is water.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer