|County Seat: Berryville
Year Organized: 1836
Square Miles: 177
102 N. Church Street, 2nd Fl.
Clarke is named for George Rogers Clark, a Continental military leader of the American Revolutionary War.
County QuickFacts: Census Bureau Quick Facts
Clarke County, Virginia formed from Frederick and Warren Counties. Warren County contributed only a small portion in 1859/60. [Virginia Counties: Those Resulting from Virginia Legislation, by Morgan Poitiaux Robinson, originally published as Bulletin of the Virginia State Library, Volume 9, January, April, July 1916, reprinted 1992 by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, MD.]
Clarke County was named for George Rogers Clark (spelled without an e), who helped win the Northwest Territory for Virginia during the Revolution. The county was formed from Frederick County in 1836, and part of Warren County was added in 1860. Its area is 174 square miles, and the county seat is Berryville. White Post was named for the large signpost pointing the way to Lord Fairfax's office. During the Civil War, John S. Mosby, "the Gray Ghost" of the Confederacy, raided General Sheridan's supply train in the summer of 1864, in Berryville. The Battle of Cool Spring was fought in Clarke County on July 17th and 18th, 1864. The population is 12,652 according to the 2000 census. Had pages cut from several record books during the Civil War.
According to the US Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 178 square miles (462 km2), of which, 177
square miles (457 km2) of it is land and 2 square miles (4 km2) of it (0.88%) is water.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer