|County Seat: Culpeper
Year Organized: 1748
Square Miles: 381
302 N. Main Street
Culpeper is named for either Thomas Colepeper, 2nd Baron Colepeper of Thoresway, who was a colonial governor of Virginia or for his first wife Margaretta van Hesse, called Margaret, Lady Colepeper, or for their daughter, Thomas's heir and only surviving issue, Catherine Colepeper. The family had significant land holdings on the Northern Neck and in the Shenandoah Valley, as well as family ties with Thomas Fairfax, 6th Baron Fairfax of Cameron.
County QuickFacts: Census Bureau Quick Facts
Culpeper County, Virginia formed from Orange County. Legislative enactment in 1748. Organized in 1749. Later changes occurred in 1832-1833. [Virginia Counties: Those Resulting from Virginia Legislation, by Morgan Poitiaux Robinson, originally published as Bulletin of the Virginia State Library, Volume 9, January, April, July 1916, reprinted 1992 by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, MD.]
Culpeper County probably was name for Catherine Culpeper, or for her mother, Margaret Lady Culpeper, or for Thomas Culpeper, second baron Culpeper of Thoresway, governor of Virginia from 1677 to 1683, or for their family, which long held proprietary right in the Northern Neck. It was formed from Orange County in 1749. Its area is 389 square miles, and the county seat is Culpeper.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer