Dinwiddie County is a county located in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 28,001. Its county seat is
Dinwiddie County is part of the Richmond, VA Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Dinwiddie is named for Robert Dinwiddie, a lieutenant governor of Virginia during the colonial era.
County QuickFacts: Census Bureau Quick Facts
Dinwiddie County, Virginia formed from Prince George County. [Virginia Counties: Those Resulting from Virginia Legislation, by Morgan Poitiaux Robinson, originally published as Bulletin of the Virginia State Library, Volume 9, January, April, July 1916, reprinted 1992 by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, MD.]
Dinwiddie County was named for Robert Dinwiddie, lieutenant governor of Virginia from 1751 to 1758. The county was formed from Prince George County in May 1, 1752. Its area is 501.28 square miles, and the county seat is Dinwiddie. According to the 2000 census, its population is 24,533. Dinwiddie is one of the Commonwealth's Burned Records Counties. County court records prior to 1833 were destroyed in 1865. One plat book, one order book, and one judgment book survive. County court records prior to 1833 were destroyed in 1865. One plat book, one order book, and one judgment book survive.
Dinwiddie is located in southern Virginia, southwest of the city of Petersburg. As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 507 square miles (1,310 km2), of which 504 square miles (1,310 km2) is land and 3.5 square miles (9.1 km2) (0.7%) is water. It is located between two US Army forts, Fort Lee to the east and Fort Pickett to the west.
Bordering counties are as follows: