|County Seat: Palmyra
Year Organized: 1777
Square Miles: 287
P.O. Box 299
MFluvanna is named for an archaic term for the James River, fluv anna or River of Anne.
County QuickFacts: Census Bureau Quick Facts
Fluvanna County, Virginia formed from Albemarle County. [Virginia Counties: Those Resulting from Virginia Legislation, by Morgan Poitiaux Robinson, originally published as Bulletin of the Virginia State Library, Volume 9, January, April, July 1916, reprinted 1992 by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, MD.]
Fluvanna County was named after the eighteenth-century term for the upper James River. The name, meaning river of Anne, was given in honor of Queen Anne of England. The county was formed from Albemarle County in 1777. Its area is 282 square miles, and the county seat is Palmyra.
According to the US Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 290 square miles (752 km2), of which, 287
square miles (744 km2) of it is land and 3 square miles (7 km2) of it (100%) is water. Palmyra, is 54 miles from
Richmond and 110 miles from Dulles Int'l airport. Lake Monticello is 15 miles from Charlottesville.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer