County Seat: Goochland
Year Organized: 1727
Square Miles: 284
P.O. Box 10
Goochland is named for William Gooch, a lieutenant governor of Virginia during the colonial era.
County QuickFacts: Census Bureau Quick Facts
Goochland County, Virginia formed from Henrico County. Legislative enactment in 1727. Organized in 1728. [Virginia Counties: Those Resulting from Virginia Legislation, by Morgan Poitiaux Robinson, originally published as Bulletin of the Virginia State Library, Volume 9, January, April, July 1916, reprinted 1992 by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, MD.]
Goochland County was named for Sir William Gooch, lieutenant governor of Virginia from 1727 to 1749. It was formed from Henrico County in 1728. Its area is 289 square miles, and the county seat is Goochland.
According to the US Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 290 square miles (751 km2), of which, 284
square miles (737 km2) of it is land and 6 square miles (14 km2) of it (1.92%) is water. Goochland County is drained
by the James River.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer