Greene County, Virginia formed from Orange County. [Virginia Counties: Those Resulting from Virginia Legislation,
by Morgan Poitiaux Robinson, originally published as Bulletin of the Virginia State Library, Volume 9, January,
April, July 1916, reprinted 1992 by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, MD.]
Greene County was named for Nathanael Greene, American commander of the Army of the South in the Revolutionary
War. It was formed from Orange County in 1838. Its area is 153 square miles, and the county seat is Stanardsville.
Geography: Land and Water
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 157 square miles (407 km2), of which, 157
square miles (406 km2) of it is land and 0 square miles (1 km2) of it (0.25%) is water.