County Seat: Martinsville
Year Organized: 1777
Square Miles: 382
P.O. Box 7
Henry is named for American Revolutionary Patrick Henry.
County QuickFacts: Census Bureau Quick Facts
Henry County, Virginia formed from Pittsylvania and Patrick Counties. Legislative enactment in 1776. Organized in 1777. Patrick County gave only a small portion in 1857/58. [Virginia Counties: Those Resulting from Virginia Legislation, by Morgan Poitiaux Robinson, originally published as Bulletin of the Virginia State Library, Volume 9, January, April, July 1916, reprinted 1992 by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, MD.]
Henry County was named for Patrick Henry, revolutionary leader and the first governor of the commonwealth of Virginia. It was formed from Pittsylvania County in 1776. Its area is 385 square miles, and the county seat is Martinsville.
According to the US Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 384 square miles (996 km2), of which, 382 square miles (990 km2) of it is land and 2 square miles (5 km2) of it (0.53%) is water.
The county is divided into six supervisor districts: Blackberry, Collinsville, Horsepasture, Iriswood, Reed
Creek, and Ridgeway.
Find schools and get information on the program that’s right for you.
Powered by Campus Explorer