Louisa County, Virginia formed from Hanover County. Boundary changes seem to have continued occurring from 1836 to
1838 and again from 1876 to 1877. [Virginia Counties: Those Resulting from Virginia Legislation, by Morgan
Poitiaux Robinson, originally published as Bulletin of the Virginia State Library, Volume 9, January, April, July
1916, reprinted 1992 by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, MD.]
Louisa County was named for Louisa, a daughter of George II. It was formed from Hanover County in 1742. Its area
is 514 square miles, and the county seat is Louisa.
Geography: Land and Water
As reported by the Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 511 square miles (1,323 km2), of which, 497
square miles (1,288 km2) of it is land and 14 square miles (35 km2) of it (2.67%) is water.